Tuesday, November 15, 2005

First Presentation with Condomania

Today I skipped my Milton class and went to Hamber Secondary to do my first ever condomania presentation! I got to the school an hour early (the bus timing was very bad, obviously), and stood by a tree, partly to hide from the rain, partly to go over my lines. Mia, my veteran co-facilitator, arrived quite late, and I was very scared for a moment, because I did not want to present in front of an all boy audience in my very first presentation.

The time came. The boys arranged themselves into a circle, and I asked Mia to give me two parts: the introduction, and one of the Q&A activities. I was actually quite calm in my introduction. I made sure I spoke everything I need to say, and then I handed over to Mia. Admittedly, I feel my own face growing red; I think I was very nervous. But as the day went on, things were fine and I was very comfortable in my discussions. The boys were not rude; they were rather quiet and very unwilling to say "penis". My several joke attempts seem to work, although Mia's jokes are way better:
-My joke: we have mostly negative reasons for why we have sex because we are brought up in a world in which we are told only what NOT to do. For example, in a game of hockey, we are told that we should not punch other people's faces. We are never told what we are actually allowed to do. So if one day someone decides to put a puck inside his mouth and run into the goal, we would have to make a new rule in saying, "no one is allowed to put the puck inside his mouth and 'score' a goal that way". That rule, again, is defined by what we are not allow to do.
Mia's joke: let's say we have a bucket of blood, semen, vaginal fluids and breastmilk, and I have a huge cut and blood is everywhere. If I'm just standing here, and the bucket is over there, am I going to get infected by STIs?
Anyway, Mia gradually took over the workshop, and I jumped in here and there. But overall I was happy with my first workshop. Mia gave me some really good words of encouragement, so thumbs up for her. And I think getting this one out of the way means I can be more confident next time.

The boys liked us, so that's also a fantastic thing.

(PS: I told Claire today that I am doing a condomania - sex ed. - workshop and she cracked up. Yesterday I told Regina and Ainge, and both of them cracked up. WHY? Don't I look like a youth sex educator??? Must I stick to my books? You know, Shakespeare is very dirty too. And I can write dirty in heroic couplets as well:

O Why does every time the Redcrosse knight
Draws his huge sword to fight for Una's plight?
Why do the Baron's scissors seem to cut
A lock of hair that's near the lady's butt? (Dialogue Between Ego and Id, 23-26; see April's entry)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

shakespeare is poetically brazen and vulgar...
your 'dirty couplet' is just funny~

I'm glad your sex ed presentation went well..... ^^

Most people are shy when they have to discuss sex in a public, 'professional' setting. . . . I'm sure those boys make a lot of jokes about sex amongst themselves...

9:23 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

youth sex educator, this glamorous priviledge of yours totally fascinates others, who are of course jealous of your 'status' :)

Kenneth

12:07 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home